Zoning Board Minutes
DECEMBER 19, 2016 GRAYLING CHARTER TOWNSHIP ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
GRAYLING CHARTER TOWNSHIP ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
MEETING AND PUBLIC HEARING
DECEMBER 19, 2016
1. 7:00 meeting called to order.
2. Pledge of allegiance.
3. Roll call:
Present Cox, French, J. Zalobsky, L. Stephan and K. Olson.
Also present Bonnie & Mike Stephan & Rick Harland as recording secretary.
4. Motion by J. Zalobsky support by Cox to approve minutes from November 21, 2016 with typo corrected. Four, ayes, one abstain (absent). Motion carried.
5. Chair explains the formation, powers and duties of the zoning board of appeals and the public procedure to be followed. All members were present. Chair explains that a majority of three votes is needed to take action. Variances are granted to the property, not to the owner. Chair reads 125.3606 MCL concerning appeals. An appeal under this section shall be filed within 30 days after the zoning board of appeals certifies its decision in writing or approves the minutes of its decision. Appeals of zoning decisions are made in circuit court.
Chair read into record 23.04C and 1, a,b,c & 2 a,b & c.
6. Basic Conditions: Motion by J. Zalobsky support by L. Stephan that all basic conditions have been met. All ayes. Motion carried.
Special Conditions: Motion by L. Stephan support by J. Zalobsky that 2A at least one of the special conditions has been met. All ayes. Motion carried.
Administrative Standards: Motion by Cox support by K. Olson administrative standards have been met. All ayes. Motion carried.
7. Chair reads case:
Case # 16-07 Request for variance
Petitioner: Mike & Bonnie Stephan
Address : 800 Evart St
Cadillac, MI 49601
Local Address: 1467 Edgewater Lane
Grayling, MI 49738
Property ID # 040-40-005-08-060-00
Location: T26N, R2W SEC 5
Zoning: NRD Natural River District
Lot size: 1.3 acres + or Approximately 175 X 320
Request: Requesting a variance of 160 from the river (front) and an east side variance of 5 to build an addition to the existing home. Currently there are 3 accessory structures. Request to demolish an existing garage and replace it with a 40 X 70 pole barn behind the home. This will require allowing replacement of the third accessory building and a variance of 75 from the river. The pole barn and two accessory buildings will exceed the allowed combined square footage for accessory buildings by 918 square feet and will require a variance
Non-conformances: Legal-non conformances. House set back, one accessory building side setback; one accessory building front set back.
Zoning justification: Ordinance 2010-02, Sec, 16.05D & 16.07
Petitioner Mike Stephan explained his request in detail.
No others in audience.
Recording secretary Harland read letter from Natural River Administrator Brian Bury. (letter on file)
Considerable information about why the petitioner wants to use the existing foot print (to preserve the history & original structure).
Motion by J. Zalobsky support by L. Stephan to approve request as presented. (work sheets on file)
Roll call vote:
K. Olson - Aye
Cox - Aye
French - Aye
J. Zalobsky - Aye
L. Stephan - Aye
8. Motion by J. Zalobsky support by L. Stephan to re-elect all ZBA Board Members for term. All ayes.
Dale French, Chair 12/2016 12/2019
James Cox Concurrent with PC term
Lacey Stephan 12/2015 12/2018
Katie Olson 12/2014 12/2017
Janice Zalobsky 12/2014 - 12/2017
9. Motion by L. Stephan support by Cox to adjourn. All ayes. Motion carried